Sunday, March 19, 2006

Great Wall

This morning we went to a jade factory. We had a brief lecture on jade and a demonstration of jade carving, then we went into the store. There were many beautiful things there, but we found it to be very expensive. We bought two little bead bracelets for Julia and Rachel.

Then we went to the Great Wall. On the way there I realized that I had forgotten Rachel's formula in the diaper bag. (We switched everything from the diaper bag to the backpack so that it would make for easier climbing.) Another couple graciously gave us one of their bottles. On the way back another couple gave us some formula. That's one of the nice things about travelling with a group of other parents- if someone forgets something, there are always plenty of people willing to share.

The Great Wall was really an awesome sight. After seeing it in pictures for so long, it was hard to believe that we were actually there. Jamie strapped Rachel into the hip hammock and away we went. It was a lung-burning, legs-turning-to-jello climb up uneven stairs, and we stopped for rests at several points. We made it as far as the "hero level" and had a little certificate engraved for Rachel that notes the day she climbed the Great Wall. That was the end of the line for me, but Jamie and Rachel climbed to the next level while I waited. I enjoyed watching all of the other adoptive couples with their babies. There were many there from Spain and Brazil, as well as the US and I don't know where else. I got a kick out of a few couples trying to take their strollers up the stairs (???) I don't think they got very far.

Jamie got us a couple of lattes and we got back on the bus. We went to a big restaurant for lunch that had a Friendship Store (government-run store). There were many lovely things there and we got a few gifts for the kids.

Everyone was very tired when we arrived back. We had a late supper in the hotel, then Jamie went to get a massage here in the hotel to ease his tired and sore muscles. While he was gone I gave Rachel a bath. Since she hasn't enjoyed the baths I gave her in the sink, I took her into the tub with me and held her on my lap. She liked this much better, and played with some stacking cups in the water. After I dried her off I put her in her jammies and gave her a nice warm bottle. She drank it all up, then closed her eyes and went right off to sleep. I put her in her crib and gazed at my sleeping angel. There's nothing more satisfying then knowing that your baby is clean, fed, and sleeping peacefully.

Tomorrow Rachel will be having her physical examination. I know that she is absolutely going to hate this since she doesn't like to be laid down. She is starting to get better with her diaper changes but I think she is really not going to like a stranger laying her down and poking and prodding her.

We love you Harrison, Quentin, and Julia! Our time away is more than halfway over! We will be home before you know it!

No comments: